We are family-oriented immigration lawyers focused on helping people who want to build a fulfilling life in the United States.

Work-Based Immigration Law FAQ

How Can I Work in the U.S.

This is the method U.S. citizens and people who are permanent, lawful residents can legally bring their family members to this country. The Immigration and Nationality Act is the federal law that gives preference to relatives of U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents who want to immigrate.

Family preference is given to:

  • First preference – Immediate relatives (including spouses, unmarried minor children and parents); unmarried adult children of U.S. citizens
  • Second preference – Spouses and minor children of lawful permanent residents; unmarried adult children of lawful permanent residents
  • Third preference – Married adult children of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth preference – Brothers/sisters of U.S. citizens

Who Is Eligible To Sponsor A Relative For A Green Card?

A petitioner, who must be a U.S. citizen (or lawful permanent resident), can sponsor a beneficiary (a family member) for a green card.

To sponsor a relative, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen (or a lawful permanent resident) with documentation
  • Have a qualifying relationship with the beneficiary
  • File the legal “Petition for Alien Relative” form
  • Prove that you can support your family above the 125 percent national poverty level

Can A Legal Permanent Resident Petition For A Relative?

If you hold a green card (permanent resident), you can petition for some family member to immigrate.

You can petition for your:

  • Spouse
  • Children under 21
  • Unmarried children 21 or older

What is the Difference Between An Immediate Relative and A Family Preference Visa?

U.S. citizens can sponsor their parents, spouses or unmarried children under 21 years old. There is no limit on these visas and there is no waiting period.

Immediate Relatives (Of U.S. Citizens) Immigrant Visas Are Allowed For:

  • Spouses
  • Unmarried children under 21
  • Orphan adoptions from overseas
  • Orphans who were already in the U.S. when they were adopted
  • Parents who are at least 21.

Seek An Experienced Immigration Lawyer In Ohio

Call Rodriguez Bell and DiFranco Law, Office, LLC at 800-709-0243 or email us.